From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 1999 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: bog gardens

> Butch ..further to our discussions regarding 'Bog Hosta Growing in Full
Sun?'

> A Nursery owner-friend, and myself are going to do a Father's Day project
today related to the above.  Using a tractor backhoe, we are going to dig a
trench, line it with plastic, etc and soforth, to create a bog site in full
sun.  We will likely be using drip irrigation to feed water into it.

> It came to mind, that a bog garden would not be very good, relating to
wintering over & survival of hostas in our zone 4 (minus 20) winters,
because in our Spring melting of snow, the bog garden would be like a
skating rink i.e. the plants would be sitting in a block of solid ice.  To
counteract this, we plan to raise the bed to provide runoff; and also,
provide drains to allow excess water to leak out during winter freeze up and
Spring melt down.

> This sounds like a silly experiment to me, but what the heck, the Nursery
owner friend wants to try it ...so I'm his advisor/helper LOL