RE: Iron Gate supreme

Ben,

I have been using H. 'Iron Gate Supreme' for 2 years now. I hand pollinate
and while the pods are quite large, I typically get only 3 or 4 viable seeds
per pod (It isn't a H. 'Beatrice' or H. 'Neat Splash' in the fertility
department). The seeds have germinated fairly well for me. The seedlings
have been good growers once established but the ones from last year did not
bloom last summer. I have many more seedlings this year with pollen parents
being H. 'Starboard Light' and H. 'Mikawa-no-Yuki'. Many are very nicely
streaked and growing well. The H. 'Iron Gate Supreme' plant I am using may
have more of the subtle, marbled streaking versus the wide swaths of white
and green. This type of streaking has given me more streaked seedlings.

H. 'Seventh Heaven' ( H. 'Seventh Heaven' is H. 'Kevin Vaughn' x H.
plantaginea, H. 'Kevin Vaughn' is a streaked H. 'Christmas Tree', H.
'Christmas Tree' is H. 'Frances Williams' x H. 'Beatrice' (?)) is another
fragrant streaked breeder that is fertile, but like most fragrant hostas,
not extremely fertile. I was able to set seed on most flowers this past year
and have some nice streaked seedlings from it that appear to be good
growers.

Thanks!

Norm Lesch
Manchester, MD