abusing hostas...

Gail,
In the BAP class I took they handed out a paper that talked about Physical
Stimulation of bud outgrowth. This is by Ed Elslager.
The first one he talks about is mutilation....
That procedure he calls it..has been practiced by Japanese gardeners for
years....so no more Yelling at hubbies or kids who do it ..lol.
In England is known as "mowing"(I would have a cardiac if hubby did that
before I read this...) cutting off the entire leaf crown at ground level when
flower scapes are emerging. Or there is the grisly modification (his words)
of grinding the heel of a shoe into young hosta shoots as they are emerging
in the spring.
Rhizome integrity is not disrupted by either procedure. And both produce more
buds.
BAP sure sounds easier on me...

Paula
Blaine,Mn

Ps..Thanks again to all who worked so hard to put on the Hosta College, It
was fantastic.
And all the instructors who were so willing to share their wealth of
knowledge. I have learned more than I ever thought I could. Between that and
the internet...