Preserving hostas on a long trip when short on space.

     Here's a technique I learned from Bill Meyer last summer when we
had a lot of hostas to get home after the convention in Ann Arbor.

    Put more than one hosta in a pot. We were able to get as many as 8
hostas in one container. This is a great technique that does not set the
hostas back nearly as much a bare rooting does. It also makes for great
viewing and discussion of the new hostas picked up along the way. We had
very good success keeping hostas in this fashion for 8 or 10 days. After
transplanting the hostas were watered in and kept in low light areas as
much as possible during the trip.

Another advantage is that the repotting can be done as you acquire
hostas. This cuts down on the last minute rush to bare root all of your
plants at the last minute. When you get home the plants look great and
there is no urgent need to get them into the ground. I planted mine over
the next several days after getting home.

If you are flying this technique has it's limitations. But if you have
the space or are driving give it a try. We brought home about 40 hostas
in just a few containers and all did superbly. This also eliminates the
stress associated with wondering how you bare root babies are doing.

It amazing the dollar value you can get into a one gallon pot!

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7