Re: example of mitotic recombination in Hosta

zonneveld wrote:

> My articles in the AHs are NOT scientific articles .They just give
> some BASIC genetics applied to hosta Remember that I have been
> busy in genetics research and teaching for more than 36 years. In
> spend most of my time in the lab not in the office.
> MIToTIC RECOMBINATION clearly seems for some of you a case
> of: I have never heard about it so its not true. Let me give an
> example ie Yellow leaves in hosta These are due to a NUCLEAR (
> my emphasis) dominant mutation..THat is why we get about 50 %
> yellow ofspring from a yellow plant.
>  The most common sequence in hosta sports eg in the Tiaras is
> the following: (The sequence of sports is very important for
> understanding. THat is what can be found in my booklet but is
> unfortunately missing completely in the hosta wheel data)
> Green>> yellow edge=1>> yellow =2>>> green edge= 3
> 1= a sport due to a mutation ( a very rare happening!)
> 2= a sport due to a chimeral rearrangement
> 3= a sport due to mitotic recombination.
> All this can easily be gleaned from my rule of thumbs.
> So far I have not seen a single contra argument and I should like to
> hear your explanation if you have any, for the green edge in 3
>  Ps: a back mutation is as rare as a forward mutation! so is very
> unlikely.
> Ben J.M.Zonneveld
> Clusius lab pobox 9505
> 2300 RA Leiden
> The Netherlands
> mintemp-16C(5F)
> Zonneveld@RULbim.LeidenUniv.NL
> Fax: 31-71-5274999

Ben,
I note that you did not answer Bill's question , "What did you think of
Dr. Marcotrigiano's article on Variegation and Chimeras: Patterns of
Deceit?"

I add my question.. Do you agree with the concepts described on the
Origins of Chimeras? Did you read it? If not, why not?

You admit that your article is not a scientific article ( which perhaps
excuses you from making any references to work of others?)  Then what is
the basis for your belief that mitotic recombination is a causal factor
for sports when proof is provided by Dr. Halinar that:
   mitotic recombination is rare
   that it is not frequent in higher plants
   that it has never been reported in hostas except by you
   and it is not included as a causal factor by Dr. Marcotrigiano?

You ask for an explanation for some sports. Have you not figured out yet
what the causes of chimeral variegation are ? If not, let me summarize
simply:
   by plastid mutations
   by plastid population variability through sorting out processes over
time
   by tissue transfers
   and less rarely by nuclear mutations.

You asked someone to explain where yellow hostas come from if not from
nuclear mutations? You stated "yellow leaves are due to a nuclear
dominant mutation. That is why we get 50 % yellow offspring from a
yellow plant".....WRONG! You
should have said "yellow leaves in SOME hostas are due to a nuclear
dominant
mutation" , not all hostas.
.
If you will read Dr. Kevin Vaughn's "Chloroplast Mutants in Hosta", AHS
Bulletin 11 you will find that Yasui reported that "all of the plastid
mutants in variants of H. sieboldii Ingram were maternally inherited
mutants, i.e. probably controlled by plastogenes ( see pg. 36).And that
progeny from aureo(medio)variegata  clones used as pod parents were
nearly all yellow regardless of the pollen parent( see pg.38).  Further
Vaughn stated that seedlings from aurea clones when either self
pollinated or when used as pod parents in crosses are ALL of the aurea
types (see pg 39).So not all yellows come from nuclear mutations. Many
are derived from mutant plastids according to authorities cited.

I suggest you read the literature carefully and answer your own
questions.

Jim Hawes