Re: example of mitotic recombination in Hosta

In a message dated 03/05/2001 8:28:43 PM Central Standard Time,
andrewl@hostahaven.com writes:

<<
 I am still searching for answers (no kidding).  When the pollen is
 transferred to the egg, is the DNA that will eventually reside in
 chloroplasts and mitochondria part of the chromosomes of the nucleus, or
 are they separate?  Seems like something I ought to know about this
 process.

If you use animal reproduction as your reference point you will be confused,
plants have more complicated forms of inheritance that are not analogous in
animals.

In angiosperms (Hosta) you have double fertilization with the production of a
2n or diploid zygote and a 3n or triploid endosperm nucleus.

I fell asleep in botany class at this point.

But an understanding of cytokinesis and plasmoghamy could help in
understanding what can happen with free "cells" like plastids.

I do not understand it my self- I learned just enough to pass the test, It
was not my field of interest, this part of Botany and learning about
Parenchyma and Collenchyma and schrenchyma and all the sieve elements bored
me to tears. And the words still leave a distaste in my mouth.

Paul