Re: green edge appearing in yellow = mit rec!

zonneveld wrote:
RE:>>Again not a single argument why my explanation of a green edge appearing in a
yellow plant is wrong let alone an alternative explanation.
--------------------

Good morning, Ben.
I can't speak for Jim Hawes or Joe, but I can speak somewhat about the scientific method of investigation.  I think that in this country, if a researcher makes a bold statement, posits an hypothesis, or similarly takes a position that is contrarym or posits a new explanation, to a previously recognized phenomena, it is my understanding that that researcher has the obligation to provide research evidence to support that hypothesis.  This is not for others to do.  You're the one with the theory, so asking Joe is simply asking you to provide support.  Seems reasonable enough.  Fortunately, there does seem to be a fair amount of literature reviewing this topic and quite a bit that is supportive. You are not alone.

Since it is not up to others to prove that you are wrong but up to you to prove that you are right, you're having lots of questions proffered.  Others MAY choose to perform research that lends support to or refutes the hypothesis, but until the hypothesis is either substantiated by valid and reliable research by both the researcher themselves AND others, the hypothesis may not be well accepted. You know this, I'm just reiterating for clarity.

With that said, I will say thank you for pointing us to the web for further research on the process of mitotic recombination.  There IS a lot of info on this, and these sites may be of interest to others in search of questions or answers.

http://www.agron.missouri.edu/mnl/72/47peterson.html
http://www.admin.ch/bbw/abstracts/abstr-98/abstracts/biotech/bt96.0402-1.html
http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/R177962-179414-/news/bionet/genome/arabidopsis/9201.newsm

Of those I read, this next one provided info that seemed most germaine to this discussion from the view point of researchers examining similar phenomena.
http://www.best.com/~worktree/g/02/304g.htm

A good one for this lay investigator was the following site that provided substantial definitions and explanations of what mitotic recombination IS--an important element for understanding of this discussion.

http://mendel.genetics.washington.edu/~jht/gen371_98/Lectures/lecture_11.html

And this one, that helps to explain what a gene is (yes, that would be good to understand):
http://mendel.genetics.washington.edu/~jht/gen371_98/Lectures/lecture_14.html

Because I do want a little sleep tonight, this one focuses on the mitotic recombination and homologous recombination, perhaps exactly the phenomena to which you refer.  I don't know if it is safe to draw the conculsions that you draw, but that will be left up to you and others who know what they are doing.  http://www.rochester.edu/College/BIO/Ray_Research/Ray_home3.html

Finally, having access to the genome map for A. Thaliana helps investigators better understand the researchers and their results.  There is even some modicum of hope for me!

However, now that Bevie has brought up frogs, I am having some difficulty envisioning the DNA of a frog, held out end to end, that stretches over a length of about 10 meters and coming from a single cell that I could barely see.  Just how does that work? :-)

--
Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com
1250 41st St