Re: 117 Citations

JIm Hawes and others:

I have found these postings very informative, as we discussed these issues 15-20 years ago with the advent of hosta tissue culture and the mechanisms that produced sports thereof. We saw a lot in the early tc results which should have been documented, it was so different! Alas, it was culled and tossed. I remember when John Kulpa and my mother found "Whirlwind" - she was convinced it was tc cull material.

Your last post about the 117 references reminded me of one resource you may wish to check: Dr. Sherry Kitto at the Univ. of Delaware.

She was one of the pioneers in plant tissue culture techniques and currently teaches graduate courses in the same field: her email is kitto@udel.edu
Her web page at udel.edu provides her background.

I remember sitting down with my mother Pauline Banyai and Sherry to discuss chimeral rearrangement in hosta tissue culture, probably around 1986-1990: it was not something we could easily relate to and as such we decided to not followup our discussions.

The one comment she made which still sticks with me is this: hosta are a "different beast" in the tc plant world, with respect to all other known ( at that time )unstable species and chimeral understanding. She said hosta were the best tool to teach plant tissue culture techniques, to point out what COULD result from tissue culture - not always as predictable as other plant material.

Sounds like we are still steep in the learning curve.

Regards, bruce banyai