Fw: Origins of Sports Discussion

Hi Everyone,
       We seem to have a problem here in defining our terms. Variegation is perhaps too broad a word. In Hosta there are two types of variegation that are common. One is the albescent or viridescent range of off-white colors that is present in streaked plants and the settled-out (periclinal) forms of them. A sport or seedling, with few exceptions, made up of this tissue entirely will fail except under laboratory conditions. The second is the gold/yellow type, for which the opposite is true. It does not appear in streaked forms and yields solid-color  seedlings and sports that thrive in outdoor circumstances.
       The current discussion hit a sticking point regarding Dr. Zonneveld's theory that green-edged sports of the gold/yellow types are generally caused by mitotic or somatic recombination. Others in the discussion felt that this was highly unlikely. The cause and nature of the gold/yellow type tissue itself, and its differences from the off-white type was not yet discussed in detail. Dr. Marcotrigiano has not been following this discussion due to pressing responsibilities of his own and yesterday responded to a question about the off-white type of variegation.
       If Dr. Zonneveld is abandoning his theory regarding green-edged golds and somatic recombination, then  I suggest that the discussion move into the differences or similarities between these two types of off-color tissue. He seems to want to change the topic to this with his post this morning, in which he apparently brought this subject up with Dr. Marcotrigiano. Perhaps he is right and it is time to move into this. So Dr. Zonneveld, I put the question to you: Do you wish to accept that recombination is an unlikely cause and move on to a different subject? Or do you wish to discuss it further?
                                                                                                       ......Bill Meyer