Re: Final conclusion on mit rec

>For example, when Dr. Marcotrigiano states that mitotic recombination
>is not uncommon, he means that it occurs in plants in general.

I don't think that anyone is saying that mitotic recombination doesn't
occure in plants.  However, there does appear to be some question
about how common or uncommon it may be.  Almost all the experiments
that tend to demonstrate mitotic recombination use high doses of
irriadation - conditions that are not normal.  I have never seen any
estimates of just what the rate of mitotic recombination may be in
higher plants.  In yeast and fungus it is quite low under experimental
conditions designed to increase the rate of mitotic recombination.
Take away the irradiation and the natural rate of mitotic
recombination is even lower by several orders of magnitude.

>"And he agreed on mit rec as an explanation for  a green edge
>appearing on a yellow plant". That is not the way I read what he
>said. I read that he said he "tended" to agree (with you)that it is

It is always possible that mitotic recombination does occure in yellow
hostas to produce a green edge, but chromosome damage or loss and
point mutations could also cause a green edge and also transposible
elements.  Unfortunately, Ben has not provided any proof for his claim
that mitotic recombination is THE cause.  Actually, I think there is
good evidence that mitotic recombination is not the cause.  Charlie
Purtymun has a number of different green edged sports of Abiqua
Recluse and they are all different, Paradigm being the best one.  If
mitotic recombination were the cause of green edges showing up on
yellow hostas then there should only be one type of green edged sport
you could get from Abiqua Recluse.  You would also not get an all
green sport of Fascination revert back to yellow steaking because,
according to Ben such a plant should be homoszygous yy.

Joe Halinar