Re: Ventricosa

Hi Everyone,
   I too doubt some of the assumptions made about ventricosa. A couple years ago I went to look at a large number of seedlings that were raised from open-pollenated ventricosa seed and found quite a bit of difference among them. Especially interesting were the flowers. A large percentage were not the supposedly typical bell-shaped flowers. They were ordinary funnel-shaped flowers that showed no resemblance to the flowers we think of as being distinctively ventricosa. It certainly looked like a batch of hybrids and not the nearly identical offspring we're supposed to see. I think we may find with further investigation that hybrid seedlings of ventricosa just have a strong resemblance to the female parent, and that this is causing people to think they are not really hybrids.                                                                                                  .....Bill Meyer