Comments on Plagiarism

I have gone to much  trouble in  studing and writing about plagiarism
because I wanted to be correct and on solid ground.. I understand the
principles involved concerning the serious nature of this  kind of
misconduct in the academic and scientific community. In the US it is
often serious enough  for university students to be expelled or for
misconduct by professionals to be adequate cause for loss of employment.
Each institution dealing with this subject has different rules and
regulations. I have summarized in Part II of my documentation on
plagiarism the regulations which apply at Temple University. I wish at
this point to make a simple background summary of why we appear to be
discussing plagiarism

Two years ago, I charged Ben Zonneveld with use of data, descriptions
and other information that was not of general knowledge, having been
taken from published and unpublished articles of mine containing
graphic and other type information which represented intellectual
property, owned by me under assumed copyright ownership. He modified the
information in such a manner as to make it appear to be his own work,
then used it freely without permission by publishing the substance of it
in a Journal article and in his Booklet of Sports, both  without
attribution of source. In his Booklet he  claimed copyright ownership
and prevention of copying without the permission of Ben Zonneveld. All
of these actions meet the usually employed  criteria to determine if
plagiarism had occurred. Readers can verify this by reading the post on
plagiarism re guidelines used by Temple University..

I made a formal complaint about this to the AHS Board of Directors. It
refused to become involved because of fear of potential legal
implications. Therefore, I documented my case in the form of "The
Plagiarism Story",  a 23 page email  document which explained details of
what happened.. I forwarded it to hosta-open in February 1999 for public
scrutiny.  In this informal fashion I used the  the only "institution"
readily available as an open court of public opinion. My motive was to
make the truth be known so that the perpetrator would not escape from
his misconduct "scott-free".

My documentation was adequately strong  that I insisted to Ben Zonneveld
that  he  desist in promoting his plagiarized Booklet under the threat
of my sending a copy of my  documentation to Leiden University. Although
we did not communicate on this matter further, I felt that he was
respecting my demands for a period of about two years. Now he is denying
it ever happened and seems to be bringing this matter up for discussion
again in recent days,  saying that I am wrongfully slandering him.  I
can not imagine why he is revisiting a war fought and lost by Zonneveld
two years ago.

I would like very much for this issue to evaporate and go away. But if
Ben denies it ever happened , tries to lay blame on me, calls me
ignorant and wishes to do battle again, I am armed and waiting in the
field. I will not go away.  I am seriously considering raising this
issue with Leiden University, asking them to communicate with me openly
about this incident  via email  with copies to hosta-open and let Ben
take his chances in that venue. It would be very unwize of him to take
this risk , but anything is possible with Ben .

Jim Hawes