Re: hostas with musical names - was aeolian

Cindy,

I studied guitar with a friend. I picked up on the theory part real fast. I really wish I had a better sense of rhythm, so I could have applied the knowledge better. It is hard to say whether or not your piano teacher would have taught this to you. Many music teachers just teach how to play songs. Lessons in composition or music theory would almost definately get you there.

Ray

  ray,  how do you know about the 7 modes?  i've only had 2 years of piano lessons....but if i had continued on, is this something i would have learned about?  are they the same as the key a song is written in? hmmm, to make this hosta related, how many hosta names are related to music?  (summer music, elvis lives, etc). what would a hosta that's named for a minor key (mode?) have to look like?  somber? haunting? soulful? cindy johnsonwhite bear lake, mnzone 4a p.s.  did you know that at one time, songs in  minor keys weren't allowed in church music?  i'm glad that's not the case anymore!