Re: Hosta Seeds

Hi Sharon,
         I guess this would be kind of a yes and no thing. Hosta seeds do tend to come in different shades of black or brown when ripe. The whitish ones are probably not quite ripe yet, but some of these may have ceased to ripen. Not too many of the unripened ones will germinate but some will. As to the shapes, if you study seeds, you could probably learn to tell to some degree what plant they came from, but it would be impossible to really be sure. As far as I know, there is no coorelation between shape or size of the seed and shape or size of either the leaf or the plant it will be.

Do they tell me anything about what the seedlings will be with their size, shape and coloring?
I received a mix of hosta seeds, some were very small, some were large, some had long thin wings, some had more rounded wings.  Some were black, some brown, some had a white or light cream colored spot and some were white or light cream with the seed part being dark.  There were even a few solid white.  Would the long thin wing mean a thin leafed hosta, the more rounded wing a wider leaf?  Would the color of the seed give me any indication of the color of the leaves?  This is my first try at raising hosta from seeds and the differences in the seed have me curious.
Thank you for any input.
Sam I Am