Re: ? 'Urajiro Hachijo'

Hi Jim.

Haven't seen you in ages!  I just went to Florida for a few days.  Not my kind of place.

My question was prompted by the listing in the auction of H. ruprifraga 'Urajiro Hachijo'.  I wondered if it had been reclassified, or whether it was a different plant than the one you gave me.  I grow the species ruprifraga, but if I remember, my ruprifraga is significantly larger than the plant you gave me, so I doubted the listing and assumed it was really a longipes.  Then I looked in Georges book and his description of the two species indicate that the leaf size is the same for both.  Now I'm totally confused, but I at least come to the conclusion that the correct name for the plant being auctioned is longipes, that it is the same plant you gave me, and there is no fuprifraga 'Urajiro Hachijo'.

At least I think that's what I think.

Chick

james hawes wrote:

Chick,

So now you are back from Florida a want to know about 'H. Urajiro Hachigo'.
The plant you got from me was acquired from Japan. It was a collectors' item
even there,  having become extinct in the wild.. It now exists in gardens
only, so I understand.
It is not the same as H. rupifraga.
Jim Hawes