Species Question

  • Subject: Species Question
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 07:07:40 -0500 (EST)

My sincere thanks  to George Schmid, Joe Halinar  , Ben Z.  and  Bill Meyer
for the education I am now receiving on the hosta species debate. I have
added a number of words to my vocabulary. This has been fantastic. I figure
that my silence has been my contribution. But , and there is always a but,
in reading something in  Joe's last e-mail ( the suggestion that the hosta
is descended from the ancient amphidiplois) , I find that I have a "Charlie
Brown" question on hosta species.

In the human species there has been  ( I think) the search for an "Eve"
from which all other species could be traced. Is there , could there be,
does the possibility exist, that there is such a species hosta?

In 1870 Ernst Haeckel, a German biologist, coined the word " okologie",
which became oECOlogy before the "o" was dropped. Its literal meaning is
the "study of houses," but in this case it may be more fitting to say, "the
study of our house,' meaning the planet earth.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839