Re: 23 species or less?

  • Subject: Re: 23 species or less?
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 08:57:24 -0500

Joe,

Hosta has four distinct patterns of veining, transparency and color in the tepals. These are repetitive within certain sections and species. I have provided a detailed analysis of this feature in my book. This has caused me to express the opinion that there may be four original "superspecies" (aside from H. plantaginea and H. ventricosa). Also the flowers of H. yingeri are unique. So there are markers which some systematic botanists would use to delimit the taxa. As I pointed out before, the number of true species may have been very small in the beginning.

Amphidiploid or not, practically all the good taxa in the genus are self-fertile.

W. George