Re: [hostapix] Re: Tiaras Again

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Re: Tiaras Again
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:25:01 EST

In a message dated 3/14/02 9:00:28 AM, JSchw94560@aol.com writes:

<< Hi Mike,

This information from Mark may be of help to you.

'Royal Tiara' has always differed from the other "Tiaras" & "Scepters"
in flower color (as I noted in my book on page 201). Bob Solberg pointed
this fact out to me a few years ago. It may actually be a sport of 'Gold
Edger', which would explain the difference in flower color. I named this
plant in the late 1980's and registered it in 1988 as a sport of 'Golden
Tiara' which, at the time, I believed it to be. From my records at that
time, it appeared to come out of scape section cultures of 'Golden Tiara',
but the evidence since that time points to it probably being out of 'Gold
Edger'. Is it a "Tiara"---well, yes--but, perhaps, in name only.

    Regardless of its origin, 'Royal Tiara' has proved to be an excellent
collector's plant. It  makes an interesting, twisting mound of
white-centered, gnarly foliage that can be useful for the front of the
shaded garden. I gave up on it a number of years ago. Then I observed it
thriving in a number of gardens and decided to start propagating it Jiagain.

MZ

Jim Schwarz

by air-xg02.mail.aol.com  >>
Hello Jim:

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to help clear up the
information on 'Royal Tiara'.  It would take a direct message from the master
himself Mister Zilis to make me a believer.  I find his book 'The Hosta
Handbook' to be extremely accurate in all respects. In fact, I cannot think
of any errors that I have found in the whole book. I feel quilty for not
recognizing the clue that he left on page 201.

Details is what makes the de tales interesting,

Lemke's Hosta Database

Mike Lemke