Re: Swan Lane

  • Subject: Re: Swan Lane
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 16:27:02 -0500

Hi Kirsten,
     Hate to disappoint you, but "Swan Lane" looks like another one of those
crappy marketing gimmicks that disreputable nurseries sometimes pull. Van
Zyverden is a Dutch nursery with a branch in Washington state. The plant on
the box appears to be 'Fortunei Albopicta' and the name would of course be
invalid for you databasers if it is. 'Fortunei Albopicta' is very common in
Europe and the UK, so they may just be looking to unload an overstock of it.
     There is a possibility that it is a new sport with a similar appearance
to FA, but my guess is someone would have heard about it by now if it was.
Since it's showing up as vast numbers of cheap field-grown plants in it's
debut, my guess is it's a fake. There is plenty of FA over there for them to
buy cheap enough to sell at those prices. Building that much stock of a new
plant would have taken years.
     They were discussing this on the Hallson forum last week and someone
sent a picture of the box. It looked a lot like 'Fortunei Albopicta' and
general opinion was that that was what it was. The boxed hostas turning up
as 'Shadeseeker' are also just common old 'Fortunei' types with a new fake
name.
                                                   .......Bill Meyer