RE: Trends in hostas

  • Subject: RE: Trends in hostas
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:09:15 -0500

I agree with Mike about flowers starting to become important. Tim's
suggestion of tetraploids is neat territory too, but perhaps (only a guess)
these improvements in exisitng plants from the "tet" process (and "tets'
occurr naturally too I think) may be more subtle than a change  in flowers.
Flowers are ripe. Most of us have ignored them and their disproportinate
scapes. There are,  even now as we speak,  "judging" rules being written
about evaluating bloom.There are hybridizers out there doing their darndest
to find those flowers which will compete and match the glory of the leaves.
I admit I want red or real blue (NOT VIOLET) flowers, but I am willing to

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.""Even a lie is a psychic
fact." -Carl Jung, psychiatrist (1875-1961)

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839