A Plug for the 2004 AHS Convention!

  • Subject: A Plug for the 2004 AHS Convention!
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: 20 Mar 2004 13:58:35 -0700

Dear Hosta nuts,

I haven't seen any other ads here (yet) for the AHS Convention coming from our ROHS membership, so I'll take a crack at it.  Perhaps other ROHS members can fill in gaps or will make their own pitch.

First, the http://www.rohs.org/  web site has more details including a registration form.  If you haven't taken a look, the time spent previewing the upcoming event could prove to be productive.

I want to address those who have never been to a national (or a major regional) convention.  The veterans already know so you can just skip this message and go straight to the registration form!  :-)

<begin ad>
Here's the deal -- beg, borrow, steal, mortgage your house, sell some of your illegally cloned Hostas if you need to, but get thee to the AHS National Convention in Des Moines, Iowa from June 16-19, 2004.  You're going to get a lot of bang for the buck with your registration fee (which, at $195, is lower than usual.  See site for more options).

You'll be in for some real Hosta eye candy this year.  Since you've never seen a National AHS sanctioned Hosta (leaf) show, this will be a real treat as well.  Then, there is the auction on Saturday (did I mention that you should bring several weeks allowance with you when you come?)--where you'll have a chance to adopt some really great plants AND to help out your favorite National Hosta association.

Last but least, I swear on a stack of bibles as tall as H. nigrescens, that, 1) you WILL meet some REALLY nice people, 2) you WILL have lots of fun, and 3) you WILL take home some REALLY wonderful memories.

Why attend a national HOSTA convention?    The national convention is a real eye opener to the big world of Hostas.  If you've never gone, you'll feel right at home with all the HOSTAHOLICS that will be there.  (Yes, there are LOTS of addicts just like you.  You do know how much fun it is to be around others that are just as addicted as you, right?  You can talk for hours!).

I could hardly believe my eyes, when I went (for the first time) in 2000.   I spent over four hours in Bob Olson's garden, on Sunday, and I had already seen thousands of Hostas.   By Sunday morning, the synapses in my eyes were plum tuckered out but I just could not leave town without seeing his fabulous garden.  That's how you're going to feel about many of these tour gardens here in Iowa.

You might even bump into some of these Hosta Open nuts and you'll be glad to see that not one of them has three heads!

So, whether you've been a lurker, or like Bill and Chic (and so many others), like to let it all hang out for our personal entertainment, there is a place for you on the bus!   But you have to get yourself registered!   If you LOVE Hostas, you're going to love this convention.   If you only LIKE Hostas, or think you MIGHT LIKE Hostas someday if you could just see some in a garden, then you're not going to believe your eyes.

Just go to the web site, print out the registration form and hand it to your hubby or your favorite girlfriend, and say, "This is where you're taking me for Christmas--but I want to go in June" and then see how they react.  If they come back at you with a smile, you're in! --- book a double room and you're going to have a great vacation!   If not, then maybe you'll have to go it alone, or even room with Chic or Bill (scoot over, fellas--ya got company!).

But get thee to Des Moines Iowa for June 16-19.   (The 16th is optional, but you don't want to miss the ol' Pandy Man's garden, do ya?)

</end ad>

Andrew Lietzow
Des Moines

Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!