Re: Hosta List

  • Subject: Re: Hosta List
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:47:32 -0500

Hi Glen,
       Here's what I know on these:

Dancin' in the Rain - white-centered sport of Blue Umbrellas from Walters.
The biggest one I've seen a picture of is little more than a good gallon-pot
sized plant. If they had a bigger one, they probably would have photographed
it, so I guess they don't. White-centered plants don't always grow well, so
for them to put it out in numbers, I think this one and the following one
must grow pretty well. I think both will prove to be pretty nice plants and
worth a shot for the low prices they go for.

Eskimo Pie - white-centered reverse of Northern Exposure from Walters. Ditto
the above.

Dream Queen - Yet another narrow-center Great Expectations, this time from
Holland. I doubt it will be any different from Dream Weaver or Thunderbolt
(the other two). Only interesting if you don't have one of the other ones or
want all three to compare.

Miss Saigon - Green-centered sport of Fragrant Bouquet from Shady Oaks.
Pretty much the same plant as Redolent Nosegay (Hawes) or Fragrant Dream
(Fransen/van den Top). Like above only interesting if you don't have one of
the others or want to compare them.

Grand Marquee - In Library as Marquee, from Mark Laviana at Sunny Border.
Apparently another wide-margin June like Touch of Class. The latter is a
tetraploid conversion and the former may not be, so could be slightly
different or could be the same.

Hidden Cove - Don't know much about this one, apparently from a G. Foster.

Cameo - Another sport of Baby Bunting from Shady Oaks. Possible reverse of
Pandora's Box. This one, Hope, and a couple others were all found at the
same time, so it has had more evaluation. If you do OK with Pandora's Box,
this one should be fine.

Mississippi Delta - seedling from Olga Petrysyn. Olga evaluates her plants
for a long time, so it will be a very good plant. The TC batch looks fine
from what I've seen so far. Will be big, because Olga works on big plants.

Orange Marmalade - a much brighter-centered sport of Paul's Glory from
either QandZ or Solberg originally (not sure which). Pretty much no faults.
Grows well and very eye-catching. TC batch looks good so far but still

St. Paul - a wide-margin Paul's Glory found by a T. Goad. Looks OK, but TC
batch is too new to tell anything.

Ultramarine - a seedling from Mark Zilis. Have yet to see an older plant of
this. Could be nice.

Heart and Soul - Green-edged sport of Vanilla Cream from Rob Mortko. Could
be the same as 'Wylde Green Cream'. Reports are that this plant is nice and
grows pretty well from the TC form. Grows faster and better than Vanilla

                   ......Bill Meyer