Topic=Photographing Hostas

Message text written by INTERNET:hosta-open@mallorn.com
>What kind of camera do you use?

I have a Canon AE-1 purchases in 1976 w 50MM, also have a 35-70MM,
85-205MM, and a close up kit

Do you put it on Auto  or do you use manual settings?

Manual settings seems to work best, specially with smaller hosta in
combination with the close-up kit - the lower the f-stop and higher the
sutter speed gives me a better depth of field - really helpful on small

What is your favorite speed of film, generally?

200 or 400

What is your favorite brand of film?
no preference

Do you ever use Professional film---if so, what kind?

Where do you focus in taking a pic of a clump? At front of clump, 1/3
back,1/2 back at back of clump?

I move back enough to enable the view finder to enclose or picture if wyou
will the whole clump.

Do you take mulitiple shots at different angles?

Do you use a flash? If so, when?

never when photographing flowers

Do you prefer transparencies or print?

prints, acttually I have had good luck with the local devloper putting the
pictures on a 1 1/4 inch floppy in *.jpg format.

Do you ever use 1000 ASA?If so, under what conditions?

Do you use various lenses? Do you ever use a wide angle lens?

Yes, I always seem to switch lenses with the 50mm being the best all
purpose lense particulairy for clumps,  I find the 35mm-70mm wide angle
zoom good for photographing beds or gardens particulairy when "cropping"
the photo is important.  The lense I use the most is my 3 lense set or
close-up kit, which enable me to "build" different optics and get very
close to dwarf and small hosta enabling me to "fill" the view finder with
the subject hosta.

The only time I have ever used my 85-205mm zoom lense on hostas was when I
snuck down to Springfield, VT to photograph Glen Williams, early in the
morning (like 5am) hybirdizing his hosta in his pajama's.

Is there one lens you prefer over others?
Yes, the close up kit.  they only cost about 20 to 30 bucks, it is
sometimes a pain in the "---" to use - having to screw the various lenses
on the front of my 50mm but the results are worth it.

Have you ever put cardboard or such behind a clump in order to get good

No, but I have muchled around hosta and then wet to mulch and plant prior
to photographing

What do you do with a subject that is in half sun and half shade?

Wait if I can otherwise a high sutter speed and cross my fingers.

Have you ever taken negatives back to developer to redo pix because they
too blue,too green, too light, too dark, etc.? Any luck if you have done?

Do you find that digital cameras are better than the others?

Interesting question.  I just ordered a digital camera so you might ask
this once again this fall.  What intrigues me about the digital cameras is
the "instant" access they afford via the computer, easy storage, easy to
e-mail - not to mention the touch up capabilites offer my most software
programs.  The downsize, as I see it, of digital, is you are limted to one
lense, they are expensive to buy (will be cheaper in future) phote quality
paper for my printer costs about 50 cents per sheet.

I just don't know the answer to this one, and obviously I wasn't able to
wait for the prices to comes down.

Roy Dales
Milton, VT

snow and cabin fever abound - time to go skiing