Re: Hybridization...

>Over time, all streaked plants will revert to single color or
>variegated plants, and when a streaked plant no longer produces
>streaked leaves and instead, produces leaves that are all uniformly
>colored, they are considered stable.  At that point, they no longer
>produce streaked or variegated seedlings.

Your comments here are interesting as this is a question I asked Jim
Hawes in some private email in regard to the formation of variegated
hostas.  I'm interested in understanding the nature of variegated
hostas and how they are created.  The fact that you mention that
streaked hostas have to be constantly divided to maintain the streaked
form suggest that these streaked forms are mericlinal chimeras.  A
hosta seedling that germinated variegated and was stable would be a
periclinal chimera.  However, there is a problem in figuring out how
variegated hostas are created, and I would like anyone to comment on
the following.

Regardless of whether or not the pod parent was a stable periclinal
chimera or a unstable streaked mericlinal chimera, all hosta seedlings
start out as a single cell.  A egg cell fertilizes with a sperm cell
to produce a single cell zygote.  A single cell zygote can not be a
chimera.  Thus all chimeras are lost when they go through a sexual
process.  The single cell zygote divides into two cells, then 4, and
onward until it forms a dormant embryo. A single cell zygote doesn't
have  L1, L2 or L3 layers.  Somewhere between the single cell zygote
and the dormant embryo the developing embryo develops the three
histogenic layers.

Now, here's where the problem arises.  All three layes have to have
the same cytoplasm because they all came from the same single cell
zygote.  There is no way that a hosta seedling can develop a
cytoplasmic periclinal chimera, much less a mericlinal chimera.  Thus,
there shouldn't be any variegated hosta seedlings if the variegation
is based on some cytoplasmic factors.  Also, some stable periclinal
chimeras that form from streaked hostas should also produce variegated
seedlings.  A streaked hosta will likely produce ovules that are
derived from both the L1 and L2 layers since these hostas are most
likely mericlinal chimeras.  However, the important point is that each
ovule can only come from either a L1 cell or a L2 cell, but not both.
In a stable periclinal chimera most of the ovules will develop from L2
tissue.  A stable periclinal variegated hosta formed from a streaked
hosta is going to be producing ovules derived from the same L1 or L2
tissue of the streaked parent, so why shouldn't they also produce
variegated seedlings?

Joe Halinar