Re: Best Garden on Tour

Frances Capobianco wrote:
> Since I have not heard arguments in favor of an award for the best convention
> garden,  I tend to agree with you, Carolyn.  I believe that the competition would
> change a congenial tour into something less happy and friendly.  Do you think that
> might be true, Clyde and others?
> Frances
> Carolyn Q. Bryson wrote:
> >
> >         ..... I would oppose voting on the because of the variety
> > of sites, it seems like comparing apples and oranges. When voting was done
> > at conventions which I attended, I was surprised at the voting outcomes.
> > Therefore, I would prefer that there not be any voting on "best" garden.
> >
> > Carolyn Q. Bryson, Indianapolis
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > >Why has the AHS been so opposed to giving an award to the best garden on tour
> > >at an AHS Convention?
> > >
> > >Clyde Crockett z5
> >
> >Everyone seems to be skirting this issue with great care and delicacy.  Why is so hard to understand the inherent problems in judging the garden of a two-million dollar home against the garden of a hundred thousand dollar home?  A seven-acre garden against a 1/6 acre garden?  A $30,000 water feature, professionally installed, against a homeowner's $400 water feature?

I've seen each, in each of four national conventions, and several
Midwest Regional conventions.  Some gardens are not much, and some are
absolutely beautiful, and the beautiful ones include smaller homes, as
well as lavish estates.  But, the homeowner with money has an edge.

Comparison is not necessary for enjoyment.

Irwin Johnson