Re: Wide world of sports.

Mike Groothuis wrote:
> I've got a question about hosta sports. Say for instance, two people
> have the same variety of hosta and both of their hostas sported a new
> variety with a gold center and a green margin (hypothetically). If each
> of the sports are from the same variety and each sport is seemingly
> identical, but in two different parts of the country, are these sports
> considered to be the same? Or can each of these two people name it
> differently? It seens to me there are several sports in the sieboldiana
> 'Elegans' lineage (among many others) that appear identical but have
> different names. Aren't there any factors that determine, "Oh, close
> enough." ?????
> Mike Groothuis
> Niles, MI
> zone 5b
In the case you outlined, I would grow it for several years, and If no
observable differences, could be found, I would in all likelyhood call
it by the "original name".  It is , however , the poilcy , currently ,
of the "Registrar" to err toward the thinking that "untill proven
otherwise", they are considered as different plants.  This means that if
you want to you can actually register them under two names.  I tend to
disagree with this thinking, as it results in so much customer
confusion, and the high risk that one will buy thre same plant twice.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048