Re: H.'Undulata Mediovariegta'

Hooijer wrote:

> I have a Hostaplant with the name H.'Undulata Mediovariegata' and it will be
> still sold under those name in Holland. Looking in the AHS documentation
> can't find anything about it. In Schmid's The Genus Hosta book I found only
> on page 114 a  HN name "H.undulata medio variegata hort incorrect.
> Will this say that H.'Undulata Mediovariegata' is the same as H.'Undulata'?
> I like this plant but want to know the right name.
>
> Thanks Henk

H. undulata 'Mediovariegata' and H. undulata 'Mediopicta' are two names
still within the trade in the United States for the plant H. undulata
'Univittata.'  To make matters even more confusing, there is
considerable variability in cultivars of H. undulata 'Univittata.'  Van
Wade has for sale five or six cultivars with more or less white and
chartreuse in the center of the leaves; he terms them 'Univittata #1,'
'Univittata #2,' etc.

The 'Univittata' with almost equal amounts of green, chartreuse, and
white on each leaf is a striking plant.

Irwin Johnson