Blooming seedlings

I have a question for some of you who live in a more northern climate
who also hybridize hosta.  Last year I grew a bunch of hostas from
seeds, selecting for certain interesting traits, but also selecting
only the most vigorous.  They were kept in a greenhouse all summer,
although the light was somewhat diffused and less then full sunlight,
but still more sunlight then they would have gotten in a shaded
location.  Anyway, I've noticed that some of them are now starting to
send up flower scapes on the second year plants - which is what I
want.  My question, for those who grow their seedlings outdoors, do
you normally have to wait until the third year to get scapes, or do
you get some to bloom the second year.

Joe Halinar