Red Japanese maple seedlings for hosta color contrast

  • Subject: Red Japanese maple seedlings for hosta color contrast
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 12:36:58 EDT

Harry, you reminded me that I needed to update those of you who heard me ask a couple of years ago about putting lots of small red Jap maple seedlings in my hosta beds for the brilliant red color contrast.

This spring with about 20-30 1-2' red seedlings spread throughout, the color contrasts are fantastic. If you have a red Jap maple that is prolific seeder, or a friend like Harry, after a soaking rain go pull out 100 3-6" seedling sprouts and replant all around your hosta.

They will do great adding the best color, until you need to give them away when they are bigger - all my neighbors and friends want to know how I can give so many red japanese maples away: the secret is they were free and now I got to get rid of them.

just having fun with red seedlings until we get the brilliant red ventricosa to reproduce....

bruce