Re: Winter survival

  • Subject: Re: Winter survival
  • From: "Lu Treadway" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 10:58:56 -0400

> Didn't seem to loose any hosta

Jim, you're lucky. I seem to have lost quite a few, but
don't even know why. I have quite a few hostas in pots and
plants sitting right next to eachother either did or didn't
make it. It's just unexplainable, except of course that the
$5 plant survived and the $40 did not.

The thing that bothers me is that up until when they went
dormant, they were spectacular all last summer and there was
no indication of a problem. For example, if you guys are
Hostapix members, you'll remember me sending pictures of H.
White Hot, or H. Dream Weaver. Both spectacular plants, both
now Dead. Same for H. Eagle's Nest. But then, I got a very
small, stressed out H. Blue Betty Lou that I just knew would
croak. Nope, back, still stressed, but alive.

I'm beginning to think in my case, the criteria for Death is
how much I paid for a plant, or how much it meant to me.

BTW, My H. Cherry Berry did come back. However, before it
went dormant, we had a little talk. I told it that it was
it's last chance to have the honor of living in my garden
and playing with the fairies. I had bought it twice before
only to have it die, so third time was it! I was not going
to replace it! Must have listened, cuz it's back. Go

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)

Website: http://www.bigfoot.com/~Hostanut