A question about eyes

  • Subject: A question about eyes
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:46:19 -0400

Hi Everyone,
I was looking at my hostas this aft.  I think they are all up now, but not unfurled.  I was wondering why a hosta would go from having, lets say 20 eyes last year, to about half of that this year, but these are very big eyes, maybe 3 x the size of last years?  What happened?
Also, a few plants have multiplied double to triple the size (counting eyes again) but the eyes are so tight /close against each other and pencil thin.  Why?  is this normal?  Looks like they may choke each other out when they start opening.
One more question, this time about roots.  I've noticed some plants that I've recieved have very thick white roots, with very few smaller "rootlets" (i dunno what they're called) growing off of these.  Afew have a mass of small roots, very dense, and this is what I usually have when I dig up any of my plants.  Whats behind this?
And boy o boy, do I ever have a bunch of distorted eyes this year, apart from the ones the dogs sat on!
Is all this normal, and I've just noticed it for the first time, or is something weird happening?
Thanks

Smile
Barbara

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"