Joyce and her orchid...

  • Subject: Joyce and her orchid...
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:34:35 -0500

Hello Joyce,
RE:>>Is there anyone that has had any experience with them that you could share or can direct me to
where I can learn more on taking care of this plant?

Dr. Bannister, right here in the heart of the beautiful land,  and the most beautiful city in the world (Des Moines, for those who may not be aware :-) ) owns a business call Iowa Orchids, Inc.  http://www.orchidmall.com/iowaorchids/#top I know for certain that he can help you with cultural requirements for your orchid.  If you have not been to his place, it's worth the trip.  They have several thousand orchids under cultivation and when he's not fixing stomachs, or some other internal organs for humans, he's tinkering with his orchids.  He goes to Hawaii to fetch them, has registered a large number of varieties, etc.  I've been to his propagation facilities and you wouldn't believe me if I told you the details, so I won't bother.  Being a doctor, he is of course, VERY intense in his orchid passion.

At their web site, you can find the address and phone number.  They may even list the type of plant that you have.  Orchids can be lots of work, as you well know, compared to our beloved Hosta.  That WORK part is what scares the bejebbers out of me!  <g> As a matter of fact, I'm busy killing one out on the back deck at this very moment (while nearly all of my Hostas are thriving!).

I did just happen to see an orchid display case/mini-growth cabinet out on eBay this last week.  I believe the starting bid was $500.00.  I'm sure Doc can give you some tips on something a little less formal to start with but they are a high maintenance item.

Seeing their operation is well worth the effort, Joyce.  They're open most days but you may want to try to go when the Doc is around.  No extra fee for talking to this Phalaenopsis Meristem guru.

Good luck!  Give me a call if you need more info.  515-274-0300.

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516