Re: "French cut" done to hostas

  • Subject: Re: "French cut" done to hostas
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:44:04 -0400

Chick
I think Dan has stated this before, about a hosta growing back from a
leftover root, after digging up the plant to move it.
I've had this happen also.  Everyone says its not possible, but, just this
morning while weeding I found little hostas , which at first I thought were
volunteer seedlings.  I then realized I had dug out hostas from that area a
couple of years ago, positive no crown/rhizome was left behind, but possibly
a few deep roots that were cut off.  I've also trimmed off hosta roots when
transplanting, discarded them on a lawn area that is rarely mowed, and found
little bitty hostas growing there a few weeks later.
Maybe it works with some, but not all.  In my case these were lancifolias
and undulatas, and a Frances Williams.

Smile
Barbara

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"