Re: tree roots

  • Subject: Re: tree roots
  • From: DonWachtel@webtv.net (Don)
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:57:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have had a major problem for many years with tree roots invading the
hosta holes.  There is nothing more aggravating than to have a hosta
reach maturity and then start declining in size because of the tree

I live in a wooded area with oaks, maples, hickories, wild dogwoods and
redbuds, cedars and several other types that I don't recognize.  All of
them invade the planting hole.  I have lifted and replanted well over
100 hostas and the tree roots removed from some of the root balls would
fill a five gallon bucket.

Here is what I tried 4 years ago and it is working so far.  I dig a hole
18" to 24" wide and 18" deep with the bottom 6" of the hole funnel
shaped.  The hole is lined with 6 mil or heavier black plastic with
around a  2"  hole cut  in the bottom of the funnel for drainage.  A
shovel full of gravel is placed in the bottom of the hole.  The top of
the plastic is at ground level and covered with mulch.

I have tried the above on around 50 hostas and they are all doing very
well with a large increase in size.  Before, these same hostas planted
in the same locations but without the plastic liner barely survived.

Invasive tree roots are generally in the top 12"  of soil and so far
have not grown down under the plastic and up through the gravel into the
planting hole.  The roots have not penetrated the plastic as yet but
what I do not know is if they will eventually do so.

Maybe someone here will know the answer to that but I guess I would just
as soon not hear that answer if it is that the roots will eventually do
so.  But go ahead ..... I will find out soon enough anyway.