Re: tree roots

  • Subject: Re: tree roots
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 06:55:46 -0400

I'm currently doing the same thing as Don...except that I'm using
landscaping fabric (the kind that is fuzzy on one side; I plant it fuzzy
side out) in the hopes of allowing aeration and better drainage. So far
hostas planted in these holes are doing really well. Don't know if that is
because of reduced competition, or because the soil in the hole tends to
stay moist longer - probably a combination of the two. The soil stays moist
longer because it isn't being sucked dry by tree roots. Have no idea what
the lifetime of landscape fabric is, probably less than the plastic, but
it's still worth it. I also have some plants in buried pots - they also
seem to be doing well.