Re: Dead Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Dead Hostas
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 18:03:54 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2003 8:24:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lenphillips@yahoo.com writes:

> There was no pattern of death among the plants and no vole damage.  Among
> divisions from the same plant, one died and the next one survived, so there
> wasn't a perceived genetic defect.  I have attributed all the losses due to ice
> damage, over which none of us have any control.
Hi, all:

I observed a new corollary to "Murphy Law":  The more expensive the hosta,
the more prone to lose it.

I believe that the warming and then freezing cycles we had this winter in the
Boston area caused many of the crowns to heave.  Since we had some odd timing
and amounts of snow falls, the soil that was about 3"-6" down remained
frozen, not permitting me to push the crowns back down.  While I covered the crowns
with pine needles and soil, the crowns, IMHO, went through the same thaw and
freeze cycles as the soil and probably lead the crowns to become desiccated.

All and all, I lost about eight prized hosta that fell into the new corollary
to "Murphy's Law."
To all, have a great weekend, regardless of the weather...Hostally,

Rich Horowitz