Re: Dead Hostas

Hi Glen. This year I lost a few hosta that were in gallon pots...Blue Angel, Zippety Do Dah, Gold Standard, Niagra Falls and 2 Spilt Milk. I think that a late frost might have been to blame for a couple of them. And I also lost several others that I think was because I divided them late last year...Guacamole, Christmas Tree, Mildred Seaver, Fair Maiden to name a few. Then there were some that I got as tissue culture last summer. They came in very small and just never got established...Big Daddy, Fire and Ice, Flame Stitch, Summer Music and Blue Umbrellas. But so far I haven't found anything in the ground that hasn't made it back. There are 2 or 3 that aren't happy, but they are alive. In the past years I have lost Patriot, Great Expectations, Lunar Eclipse, Vera Verda and Chartruese Wiggles more than once. Experience may have had something to do with a few of those. Have fun. Kirsten

From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
To: hosta-open@hort.net, PHOENIX_HOSTA_ROBIN@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: Dead Hostas
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:12:15 -0400

Hosta Brethren:

 It was a wretched winter for lots of us and I expect that many have been
keeping score of what hostas bit the dust this last winter. I hope that you
will consider sharing that information with the robins. And if you do I
would be interested in any hosta over the years that has met its demise in
your garden more than once. I am trying o respond to a question that came
into the Q &A section of THJ, and remain unsure of the best approach.
Thanks glen

eppur si muove.....Galileo.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.