Re: Innvasive Companions etc

  • Subject: Re: Innvasive Companions etc
  • From: "Sandy Houck" shouck@dmcom.net
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:28:17 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I think the name is aegopodium. The variegated variety is know as 'Snow on
the Mountain' and the solid green is known more as 'Bishop's Weed'. The
solid green grows a bit larger than the variegated. I've tried for two years
to get the variegated form to grow in an old hedgerow here behind the hostas
 It just never took, amazingly. I've just got done planting over 100 shovels
full which I got from my parents. They are over run with it. I'm hoping this
takes in that area as there isn't much else to do with it. To hilly to mow!
To shady to really grow grass either.

I am not sure of the proper latin name, called 'Snow on the Mountain' as I
know it. Maybe somebody can help with the name. Its a light vine with
variegated leaves (green and white). This stuff will grow and grow and fill
in all the blank areas up to a foot tall. Loves water! Give it some sun with
the water and it becomes one dense jungle. Dig it out--I guarantee you will
miss enough for it to grow back in 30 days. I have not seen it kill hosta,
just bury them in foliage. Keep it away from any hosta less than 18" tall.