Q & A Request(Missing Links)

  • Subject: Q & A Request(Missing Links)
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:21:41 -0400

Dear Hosta Folk:

 Bobbi Diehl and I are looking for favorite gardening related links for the
Q & A column for THJ. If you could steal a minute or two from your gardens
and your plans for attending major hosta  events (read some serious
jealousy into this statement) and share just ONE garden link we would be
eternally grateful. The hosta library is my favorite site, but others might
well be commercial or merely places where one could wander in assorted
Edens.  Please consider sending one such link to us and a couple of PITHY
sentences describing the site. The robins are an incredible resource for
such questions.

 I am compiling a master list of invasive plants/companion plants...and
some commentary.  There was an avalanche of material from all of you and we
appreciate it.  I expect that the responses may be used in specific
categories in order to respond  to some of the hosta gardening questions we
have. What makes many of these plant choices really intersting is the pithy
and personal experience comments that some of you shared. I had never
thought of lily of the valley as being a garden demon of the first order
requiring an exorcist, but I have had some burst  through an asphalt walk
too.

 Clearly we should have asked for your zone, which is a major factor in
determining the nature of some invasive plants, and the viabilty and growth
patterns of some companion plants. Speaking of zones , many of my
plantagineas were severely stunted by this last winter in Vermont. I would
also say that this   spring has genrally shown  my hostas at their best. It
is truly is glorious out there. The hostas are still not quite tall enought
to begin to form the cascading clump phase of many, or has the serious leaf
color definition of the summer appeared yet.Right now the colors are
wonderfully subtle and all the hostas look so fresh and new. Enough rapture
, time to get out there and work. Did I mention the black flies in Eden?

eppur si muove.....Galileo.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont