Re: 2003 Registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2003 Registrations
  • From: "Dan & Lu Nelson" <Hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 11:31:27 -0400

Again, this was not meant to be directed at Bob. He made no secret about what
the parentage was of Corkscrew when we visited his garden during the
convention. It was clearly marked. If he chose to submit the registration with
no pollen parent, then I suppose it's his prerogative, as much as I may not be
happy about it.

I suppose it's a question for the Registrar. Has the policy been changed, or
has wording changed in the registration booklet when something is submitted
with pollen parent "unknown" (as has been 'recorded' in the past) to list the
parentage as the pod parent hybrid? I can understand that change, if the
pollen parent is unknown. It's the change I'm questioning. There are hostas by
Malloy, Chastain, Ward, Eslanger, etc. just about everyone has hostas listed
this way. None of these folks have previously shied away from providing data,
and I'm curious as to the "new format".

How are Selfed plants listed now? I see quite a few registrations showing F1
seedling of H. so & so....

I don't particularly consider myself the scientific type Mike, but like you, I
strive to help the hosta community by providing as accurate information as
possible about the parentage of a particular hosta. If pollen is unknown, then
so be it, but when it is known.....shouldn't we document that?

Jim? Kevin?

Lu & Dan