Re: hosta Gabriel

  • Subject: Re: hosta Gabriel
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 07:42:56 -0400

>I'm fairly new to the hosta world and was wondering how long it takes for a
>new intro to be available.  I noticed 'Gabriel' was introduced last year and
>since that's my son's name, I would love to have it.  When and where might I
>expect to find it?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>Jan Evans

Jan:

I am not familiar with that hosta but there is always the possibility that
the hosta will disappear without a ripple on the surface of retail hostas.
There is simply a super abundance of hostas being
produced/registered/sold/photographed/gossiped about every year and even if
they are put into TC they often disappear in a couple of years if they have
not made a big splash. If you really want it, your best bet is to find  who
introduced the hosta, whether it is registered or not, and contact  the
hybridizer/ discoverer as soon as you can. They can tell you if it coming
out, who will have it, or they might even consider selling you a piece or
working a trade for your first born, if it's not bound for the market. Good
luck. Nice name.  glen w.

P.S. If the nature of your child changes and becomes less angelic as the
years pass there are other possibilites to consider: H.'Devil in a Blue
Dress', H. 'Satan', H. 'Wild Thing', H. 'Devil's Spawn', or even H.
'Troublemaker'.

"Do all you can with what you have in the time you have in the place you
are."-Nksoi Johnson              "Equatorial pygmies know your opinions."

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156