Vermont in the Rain

  • Subject: Vermont in the Rain
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:21:54 -0400

OK, we needed it but just not this much. Where a river runs through it,
some small communites have had some major flooding, although it is far
worse in New Hampshire and Massachsetts. Here the rain has been gentle, but
constant. The height of the grass is approaching total cover for my
Sheltie. The leaves on the variegated petasites now looked like giant
splotched umbrellas.I wish I could recommend this plant as a companion
plant but it is invasive  and keeps all sun from reaching the ground. You
forget what's underneath it, and in a year you don't need to worry. But if
you have a spot for it, it is a remarkable plant. I think it is an herb
too.I now having it comming up 10' from the nearest plant.

One of the joys of May is the cleanliness and freshness of the various
greens. They are a bit baby bile for me, but they are wonderful. I have a
mass of yellow ladyslippers in one hosta bed and they are a wonderful
spring companion plant...and very easy to grow. The rain had wiped out the
double bloodroot flowers, but they were wonderful this year too.

There is a lot that is beautiful right now, but H. 'Remember Me' is is like
a lighthouse in the early evening.It's a good window day for the garden.

"....before there were names for the earth's uncountable things,when fruit
hung anonymously from scattered groves of trees,light on one smooth green
side, shadow on the other." Billy Collins

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839