Re: Strange Problem

In a message dated 5/9/1998 1:10:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
mike.groothuis@worldnet.att.net writes:

 I have two H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' that are growing very strange this
 year. The leaves are a light blue green and half the size if the same
 variety next to it. The leaves also have the same number of veins but
 are just on much smaller leaves. The hosta has grown four of these half
 sized, color lacking leaves and then just quit. At the base of the
 petioles is on final leaf only 2 inches across, also fully unfurled. The
 hostas two feet from it are growing just fine. What is going on? Does it
 have anything to do with the very mild winter. >>
My first guess is a fungal problem. I had this happen to me in my back-back
garden to hostas in a defined area--hostas all around were doing fine. Some of
the leaves were very small; some distorted; some etiolated. Solution: Dig
plant, drench it with a fungicide solution, and replant elsewhere--preferably
in a container.*

Second guess: Do you or a neighbor use a herbicide for weeds or a pre-emergent
crab grass control for lawn?  This one may have been "hit." Nothing can be
done, except to wait till next year.

*Tug at the leaves--do they come off easily? If so, may be crown rot. Uproot
plant, remove necrotic parts of crown, drench with fungicide, remove leaves,
expose to sun for a day, replant.

Third guess: Some sort of aberrational genetic disease. Nothing can be done.

Fourth guess: A virus--move plant to isolated area and watch for unusual
spotting, etc.

Clyde Crockett z5