TC and OS

It appears that Ran and I interpret the term "OS" differently. And it
brings up a good question for mail order catalog buyers and sellers.
Ran apparently feels that any plant that was not grown from tc can be
labeled OS.  I won't argue that because nobody has ever defined the term
for me and I just made an assumption that it means more than that, that
it actually came from the garden of the originator through some known
manner.

Many catalogs, including mine, do not use these codes.  What exactly is
a TC plant?  My  offering of OS stock of 'June' a few days ago was an
attempt at humor because 'June' originated in tc and there is no such
thing as OS.  Of the nearly 500 varieties I grow, I only get 15 or 20 a
year in tc, with most being produced by division of our own stock.  But
where did that stock come from?  If it came from another grower, unless
it's a new variety that almost certainly came from tc, I don't really
have any idea.  Or I may have obtained my original plants from a lab
several years ago and have been dividing clumps ever since.  Is it still
tc after 5 generations?  It kind of makes the terms rather meaningless
unless they are narrowly defined, and I guess only the AHS has the clout
to do that.

Opinions?

Chick
Come buy plants from me at  www.bridgewoodgardens.com