Re: 'Aristocrat'

Glen Williams wrote:
>   Last year I purchased two TCed  'Aristocrat' seedlings. It is a sport of
> 'Halcyon' I believe. It was a nice blue with a narrow perfect cream edge.
> By perfect I mean a very even border. It had good growth and all emerging
> leaves  had the same exacting pattern . I mistakeningly saw the  even
> border as stable. Both plants this year have very irregular  borders
> extending well into the middle of the plant often creating a third color
> where an apparent overlapping of layers occurs.  I liked the old version.
> Has anyone had a similar experience.
>   Glen Williams Vt. zone 5a
Your massage points out another reason why it is so hard to properly
"cull" TC plants at a young age.  The adult vareigation, may not show at
first, also any varieables that may not be "true to form", will be hard
to pick out.  On an addtional note-- Wes Hyde and I looked at my one
and two year old TC beds yesterday. Out of 24 Summer Music, I have one
with vwer wide deep green edges, that is growing at a rate four times
faster than the rest.  I have one that is all light green.  Out of 16 Tc
Grand Tiara, purchase two years ago, I have two all yellow.  Out of 48
June, I have 10 with very narrow edges, and one with white streaks.  I
could go on with this kind with this for other Tc material, but you get
the point.  It is simply not true that TC material sports at the same
rate as "naturals"  The theory sounds great, but I can (and have over
many years) demonstrated otherwise.  You can believe me that I do not get
that rate of "sporting" form my established material.  I would be
intrested to hear from any of you who have bought young Tc material, and
have compaited the resulting plant, with what it is supposed to look
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048