Re: Deer damage?

Sine "pest" questions concerning damage caused by eating come up
occasionally, I thought I would tell those of you that have deer visit your
gardens or orchards occasionally what has worked for my son-in-law for about
3 years now..  He planted 9 apple trees and the first winter the deer killed
all of them by eating the branches until all that remained was a 2 foot stick
standing there..  I had heard that deer do not like the smell of Irish Spring
soap, so I had him shave little crumbly pieces off a bar into the bottom of
an old nylon sock, throw the rest of the bar in and hang one from each apple
tree ...(no, my daughter was not in the nylons at the time)..  Anyway, for
the last three years not one deer has touched his apple trees...  He also has
lots of trouble with the deer picking out the biggest pumpkins in the field
and they eat the  center out of them..  This year he is going to ring the
pumpkin patch with socks full of Irish Spring hand soap..

Ronnie