Re: cotyl

Ben:

>May I .. suggest friendly to look in any Botany book There is usually
>a picture of germinating Allium or other member of the Liliales.
>The thin threadlike cotyl ends in a haustorium absorbing food forom
>the endosperm in side the black seedcoat. The first green leaf is
>just that: the first leaf.

I'm not sure just what it is you are trying to say.  I've checked my college
introductory botany book and I checked Katherine Esau's Plant Anatomy, which
is probably the classic book on plant anatomy, and I don't see any reference
indicating that monocots don't have cotylodens or that the structure that
emerges above ground when a seed germinates is considered a true leaf.  It
is always refered to as a cotyledon.  Cotyledon is just a name botanists
give to the leaf like structure that forms as part of the embryo, also
sometimes refered to as seed-leaf.  If you want to consider it a true leaf
then you also have to consider the first two leaves of the dicots to also be
true leaves.

Would you please post the references that show that monocots don't have
cotyledons.

Joe Halinar