Re: Piecrust No Go

In a message dated 5/22/1999 10:34:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
franknancy@WHRO.NET writes:

<< hostas with a piecrust or ruffled margin  >>

I have always had a difficult time describing my hostas that I register. H.
'Broad Ripple' has what I called a "wavy" leaf. It certainly is not "ruffled"
or"piecrusted."

I understand that the AHS is coming out with a booklet on terms used in hosta
culture. That should be helpful. Personally, I do not like the term
"piecrust"--it is too vague, in my opinion, and has somewhat of an
unscientific ring to it. "Seersuckered" is another such term. There are
probably Latinate words which would be more precise and less pedestrian. And
what about the term "puckered?" I have no earthly idea what that means in
respect of leaf morphology.
I think we should also do away with the epithets "little", "big". "yellow",
"gold", "golden"( these I think, are already verboten), "gray", "purple", AND
"blue."
I also wonder about "series" names. The only thing they signify is the name
of the introducer.  I am guilty with my "Clyde" series.But I do think 'Flat
Clyde' a rather cute name.
The best namers of hostas are Tony and CH III.

CH II