Re: Bonus plant, Zantedeschia

Eight years ago I ordered a number of shade garden plants, and growing with
one of these, was what looked like a Calla lily.  Not wishing to add to my
fall chores of another plant to dig and store for the winter, I left it in
the ground.  Next spring, there it was again.  Because of the shady site it
was in, the leaves didn't grow very tall, and there was no bloom.  I moved
the Calla to full sun, and the following year, it was back with three yellow
spathes.  A gardening acquaintance was visiting at the time of bloom, and
said he had a white someone had given him.  We arranged a trade, and I
chuckled at my naiveness as I carefully planted it near the yellow.  In case
you are not familiar with this member of the Arum family, it is a zn. 8 or 9
plant.  I garden in zn. 5b.  The following year, the acquaintance sadly
announced neither of the Callas had returned for him.  Mine were multiplying
like weeds, and when he saw them, he said they just couldn't be Callas.
Something similar, but not Callas.  So, I visited a local greenhouse and
purchased a red Zantedeschia, and planted it with the other two.  Now I have
three Zantedeschias in my garden, and when they bloom, it tickles my innards.
 What got me going on this little ditty, is the white opened it's first spath
today.  The red and yellow are just now coming up, but they are going to be
huge.  Many tips are poking through the ground.  What fun, and I had
absolutely nothing to do with the success of these plant.

Patsy Stygall