Re: Subject ... debates, politics and Hostas

Hi Narda,
Here is just one of several good links on this subject.  http://gened.emc.maricopa.edu/Bio/BIO181/BIOBK/BioBookmeiosis.html

As I understand it, Coffee is an example of a plant that offers a wide array of polyploidy.  I don't know the numbers off hand, but possibly Paul does.   Something like 11, 22, 33, 44, and more.   (And I am only beginning to learn about this aspect of a plant, so I don't even have all of the terminology down yet).   There is some exciting research going on in this area, however, and attempting to manipulate the ploidy values in cell tissue can yield some valuable changes in the plants characteristics.   The naturally occuring tetraploid specias H. ventricosa, is a wonderful species plant and alot of its strengths are due to it chromosomal count.

Here is a link to an article that explains some of the terminology used by Ben Zonneveld in his recent article in the AHS Journal about Flow Cytometry analysis of the DNS content of 84 Hosta cultivars.   This particular article is right on the money if you are looking to gain more knowledge on the subject, quickly.

For others that know more about such things, Jim Hawes, Rick Grazzini, Tony Avent, C. H. Falstad, et. al. please continue to enlighten the audience.   Compared to a discussion about ploidy in plants, politics is rather boring....

Viva la Hosta!

Andrew L.

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/12/00 5:38:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, Meum71@aol.com

 Also odd pairings do not replicate or express then selves very well so that
 sets made of 3 or 5 become confusing.

OK, Paul so here goes, I stuck my foot in my mouth and chewed on it so much
what could it hurt to show further ignorance.  My question is are there other
plants that have sets of chromosomes in the category that Andrew asks about
and do they reproduce freely?

>From your answer I figure that you probably will be able to answer this one
two.  N.

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman            http://hostahaven.com
HostaHaven.com                       mailto:andrewl@hostahaven.com
1250 41st Street                     515-274-0300 voice
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516